General rules on how to write an essay for a college application
College application essays are very hard and they might be one of the hardest parts about applying for college. There are a few general rules for beginners that could make writing a college application essay a lot easier:
- Don’t lie about your achievements, titles or office because admissions people today stalk your Facebook page, your high school records, etc. If they find something that isn’t true they will deny you because of your lies not because of your lack of achievements.
- Not everyone has to be the star of everything. Just be honest and it will release a lot of stress by just writing the honest truth about you and it will give colleges a real look at who you are and where you have come from.
- Write about things that make you stand out, but always be honest.
- Write about why you are applying. What stood out out of all the other places that you could apply to work for and why did you choose to apply here? People love to read your opinion on things and what drives you.
- In your essay write about why people like you, what your strengths are and what makes you human.
- Make a list of all your good qualities and have them work their way into your essay.
Keep it Short
- A normal application essay is only 200 words and every admissions officer has a huge stack of essays that they only want to read for a few minutes - if that.
- Most of the time these people are sick of reading essays all day and want something interesting. Write about something no one else would write about - whether it’s a controversial topic or just something out of the norm.
- Don’t be the one applicant that decides to go above and beyond and send in a 1000 word essay about yourself. You’re wasting the time of the reader and your time by going over.
- Like a resume, less is more and you’re more likely to stand out in 200 words than 1000 words.
- These are the big tips in writing the perfect application essay for beginners and they are sure to get you noticed if you follow all of these guidelines.
Following these three simple and general rules on college application essays are sure ways to get you accepted into college!